Idiot light connection to a volt regulator

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Idiot light connection to a volt regulator

Post by KKV270 »

A happy new year to you all.
I have installed a generator as a replacement of an alternator. I can understand the connections from the generator to the cut-out system (volt regulator) but left with a question- how to connect the idiot light line into the system. Kindly advice. Thanks.
h~moto

Re: Idiot light connection to a volt regulator

Post by h~moto »

Looks like it hooks to terminal #61.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... bug_66.jpg
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hi h~moto
Much appreciated. That diagram has sorted me.
Safe driving.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hmmm!!!
The generator does charge... but the indicator light doesn't go off... what could I be doing wrong? The cut-out has 3 indicated terminals and a 4th I assume(d) is a ground.... B+/D+/Df.... I connected the light onto the Df terminal together with the connection that comes from the generator onto the cut-out... is that the problem? Should it go to the ground (4th terminal)? Well, that is what I'm thinking of trying... kindly help. Thanks.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I have it much thought & was able to figure it out. The dash board light connects to the D+ terminal and not the Df as I did.
The D+ terminal is an "equal ground" when the generator is stationery or not at good RPM. When it achieves the RPM, it gives a positive charge which cancels its earlier negative equal state... thus turning the dash light off as it no longer has a ground connection.

I am a happy driver now. I couldn't imagine driving in the error state as I wouldn't know if my belt cut or slipped off.