My bug

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Califas

My bug

Post by Califas »

I bought my 1966 VW in 1972 which I think was 48 years ago. I was commuting around 70 miles per day between home, college, and work. I had just wrecked my previous car and was searching for something that got good gas mileage when I spotted this bug on a used car lot. I paid $600 for it. It was a really nice car. 22,000 miles, A/C, AM/FM, reclining drivers seat (although I drove it for years not realizing the seat reclined until I started restoring it about six months ago). It was Pearl White with Black interior. I also didn't realize what a "special" year the 1966 was until I started restoring it.

I carried my wife to the hospital in it to deliver our first born. The route to the hospital crossed a RR track that was notorious for having stopped trains blocking the road. We had often talked about what we would do if the train was there when it was time to go and sure enough the train was approaching when we crossed the track. I heard later that if a VW owner could prove that a baby was born in a bug unintentionally, Volkswagen would give you $10,000 and a new VW. Don't know if that was true but I have often wondered what I would have done if I had known about that promotion that night. :)

Anyway, I used it as a daily driver until 1977 and then parked it. It has remained parked up until my first grandson got his drivers license and talked me into restoring it. This Covid-19 lockdown has afforded me lots of time to work on it, and I hope to have it completely restored in the very near future. Lots of good memories here.
Seibert66

Re: My bug

Post by Seibert66 »

Great story! Please share pics in the future... :D
jmartini
Administrator

Re: My bug

Post by jmartini »

Wow, what a great memory! Thanks for sharing the story. And good luck with the restoration!