Oil bath air cleaner.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

koko522723

Oil bath air cleaner.

Post by koko522723 »

So I am in the process of restoring an oil bath air cleaner for my 66.
I have also been trying to find out exactly how this thing is installed.
I seems that most who are still using an oil bath, don't have the pre-heat hose hooked up, and the few photos I've found where it is hooked up; don't show where it goes.
h~moto

Re: Oil bath air cleaner.

Post by h~moto »

There was a change mid-year in where the hot air came from. The change occurred on May 4, 1966 for the 1300 engine (chassis # 116852850, engine # F0767046). Before the change, the hot air was taken from the underside of the left cylinder head. After the change, the hot air came from the heat exchanger (left side I think). I should be able to provide pictures depending on which system you need.
Java Green

Re: Oil bath air cleaner.

Post by Java Green »

Hey, thanks H-moto; that gave me some info too. I figured my car was around a May production; now maybe June -116898414. The heat hose connects as you said; the old now replace with the proper black hose and new wire clips. And coincidentally the air cleaner is getting a refurbishing scrub today. Glad I checked into the forum today; you never know.