Any idea how to use this device?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Any idea how to use this device?

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I was given this device by a friend. It is a timing gun (a torch with two wires coming through). He told me to try figure out how to use it to tune my engines up.
It has 2 lead wires. When I connect just one lead wire into the distributor as a replacement of one of the lead wires on a running engine, it starts flashing red. When I connect the second lead wire,the pulse doubles.
I put a mark on TDC on my pulley (white) but unfortunately the red is not visible (reflecting) back...

Any idea how I should use it? If I got the concept right, what could I use to place a mark on the pulley?

Thanks.
h~moto

Re: Any idea how to use this device?

Post by h~moto »

It's hard to tell what you have because the image did not appear in your post. A typical timing light will have three leads. One for the positive terminal of the battery, one for the negative terminal of the battery and the one for connecting to the number one spark plug wire.
Trotsky

Post by Trotsky »

h~moto wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:55 pm It's hard to tell what you have because the image did not appear in your post. A typical timing light will have three leads. One for the positive terminal of the battery, one for the negative terminal of the battery and the one for connecting to the number one spark plug wire.
I agree with H~moto. I have one for my bug and I hook it up to a reliable ground as well as the positive side of the coil. The wire with the funny looking square clamp should go around the plug wire for #1 cylinder. I use mine in conjunction with a dwell meter to get the right number of RPMs going to set the timing.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

h~moto wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:55 pm It's hard to tell what you have because the image did not appear in your post. A typical timing light will have three leads. One for the positive terminal of the battery, one for the negative terminal of the battery and the one for connecting to the number one spark plug wire.
True. I tried posting the pic but...
Let me try once again.