Help w/ wiring for dome light in my convertible rearview mirror

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Daley-Double

Help w/ wiring for dome light in my convertible rearview mirror

Post by Daley-Double »

I want to get the light in my 66 convertible to work again.

Pulled out the lens and there is a cut stub of a wire. Probably done when the car was painted at some point.

Anyone know if the wiring is any different than the wiring diagram for a 66 sedan? Suggestions for how to get the wire threaded to were it needs to go (I'm assuming it runs inside the top of the windshield and down the A pillar?)

I haven't pulled apart the door switch to see what is behind those.

I'm moving into uncharted territory for me, so any patient advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
KKV270

Re: Help w/ wiring for dome light in my convertible rearview mirror

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I would approach the task this way-
-1) Regardless of the wire color, I would first want to confirm if it is a live wire or feeds power when the door is open. That would tell you a little more of how much work you have. You could test this with a test meter. The vehicle body is the ground.
If the wire is live, check your bulb holder and bulb. Are the terminals on the bulb holder and its switch working well? Is the bulb functioning?
-2) if the wire doesn't feed, google the wiring diagram for the said car..(I found the diagram when I googled 1966 vw wiring diagram). I'd have this as a map. check to see if the color of the wire matches what is on the diagram. If it does, follow through your map as you confirm the fuse that lies on the path that feeds that bulb, other wires (door switch wires).
- with a good fuse on, I'd check for continuity on the whole system- with the switches turned on (door open).
Let me leave my explaining at that for now... when you've had a go at it, we could delve deeper shouldn't you get any response.
Daley-Double

Re: Help w/ wiring for dome light in my convertible rearview mirror

Post by Daley-Double »

Thank you for your help - I will be working on this as the weather changes to spring. Just got my mirror back from Koch's who did a fantastic job of restoring it. Can't wait to get this to be a working part of the beetle. I'll reply if I need more direction (probably in April or May).