Flywheel Tooth Replacement

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

66_Bug

Flywheel Tooth Replacement

Post by 66_Bug »

Hello, I have a 1966 beetle and was wondering if you can replace just the teeth of the fly wheel or do I have to replace the entire flywheel system?
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Why did the last one get chewed up? Trying to use a 12 volt starter with the wrong fly wheel?

I'd just replace it after I knew why the last one broke.

Here's an ad from thesamba

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=677835
66_Bug

Post by 66_Bug »

Not for sure why it went out. When I bought the Volkswagen it was already converted to 12 V but the starter has always made a little bit of grinding sound doesn't seem to start smooth. When I replaced the starter I noticed the edge of the flywheel was wearing off a bit. Thought maybe when they put a new starter on they just put a 12 V starter on a 6 V flywheel. Not for sure if it would be better and or easier to buy 6 V starter and another flywheel or flywheel ring or to change the flywheel to a 12 V larger flywheel. Im getting ready to pull the motor, just trying to find out any information I can so I only have to do it once thank you, anymore information on this process is very much appreciated thanks again
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Common problem on cars converted to 12 volts, but keeping the 6 volt starter. I always say, if it were a good idea to keep the 6 volt starter when converting to 12 volts, the factory would have done it.

The ring gear is part of the flywheel, so it is not a replaceable part. The entire flywheel needs to be replaced. We were just discussing the procedure in this thread: http://1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2193
Lemak87

Post by Lemak87 »

I also need to get one of my teeth extracted because it is half broken and then will get the implant for that. It is literally very hard to find a good dentist Redondo Beach that has affordable prices too. It will be very helpful if you could suggest a good one to me.

Post by 1300 »

I put a 12 volt solenoid on my 6 volt starter. My flywheel was banged up from the gear slamming into the flywheel.