Firing order for a Type 4 engine with cylinder 1/2/4/3 arran

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Firing order for a Type 4 engine with cylinder 1/2/4/3 arran

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I'm working on a type 4 engine that has the cylinder arrangement stamp on the block as 1/2/4/3 unlike the conventional 1/2/3/4 on a type 1. It happens so that a type 4 manual I have indicated the cylinder arrangement as the conventional type 1 engine but no reference to such an engine as I have and I can't seem to get any information of such an engine anywhere online. Somebody please assist me with information regarding the firing order of this engine with cylinders arranged as 1/2/4/3. I can't do much until I get that order...(valve clearance). Thanks
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

The owners manual for a Volkswagen Type 411 lists the firing order as 1-4-3-2 which is the same as a type 1 engine (note: type 1 order is NOT 1-2-3-4).
You can view the owners manual here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... Manual.pdf
The firing order is listed on page 85.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Thank you h-moto.
I later established those were not official vw stamped numbers but rather numbers that might have been stamped by some workshop for their reasons. The firing order to the said engine ias well as cylinder arrangement is all typical to the vw aircooled engines.