My second 1966 Bug.....48 years later!

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
alabamacpa55

My second 1966 Bug.....48 years later!

Post by alabamacpa55 »

My first car was a 66 bug in 1971. I wish I still had it! Is there a site where I can find info about my car by the serial number. When built, where sold, date built, etc? thanks for any help!
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Welcome to the web site.

You can purchase a certificate from the Volkswagen Museum that will give you the information you are looking for. Go to:
https://www.automuseum-volkswagen.de/en ... heets.html
It is the certificate, not the data sheet you are looking for.
If you send for a certificate, VW will NOT tell you what engine number originally came with your car. If you give them the engine number that is currently with your car, they WILL tell you whether or not it is the original.
If you do an image search for the words "Volkswagen birth certificate" you can get an idea of what they look like.

You can also look up your VIN on TheSamba to get an approximate date that your car was built. They also list engine numbers. If the engine is from the same approximate time frame as the car, it increases the chance that your car has the original engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... dating.php
Digger89L

Birth Certificate

Post by Digger89L »

There's this note on the currrent (very soon to be discontinued) VW Birth Certificate website:

Bye, certificate generator!
Dear Customers,

After more than 25 years, the AutoMuseum Volkswagen will discontinue vehicle identity certificate service on May 21, 2019 at 0:00 am.
The good news: As of June 1, 2019, you can order certificates and data sheets online via Volkswagen Classic Parts.
We would like to thank our customers for the years of loyalty and wish them good luck!

Your AutoMuseum Volkswagen Team

"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."