Replacing upper door hinge mounts/panel

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Mart1n95

Replacing upper door hinge mounts/panel

Post by Mart1n95 »

Hi guys, new to the forum
I've just gotten myself a October 1966 beetle, however the PO fitted suicide doors so I shall be rectifying that. So I am looking for some advice on this as i cant seem to find a replacement panel for the upper mount, however there are replacements for the lower mount.
As the hinges are different i cannot just use another lower mount, does anyboby know where to get some?
If it has to be a body cut does anyone know any reputable sources?
Thanks

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

As far as I have been able to determine, no one makes / supplies the upper door hinges for a pre-68 beetle. Some suppliers ( Cip1.co and Wolfsberg West) supply the hinge screw plates for early beetles, and the complete hinges for 68 and new beetles. Not sure if those parts can be modified to work with earlier models. You're quite likely going to have to find salvage yard parts to meet your needs. Good luck!
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."