The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1966 Beetle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> My 1966 VW Beetle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: My 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

My bugs serial # ends in 054077. My ďFĒ engine # ends in 060580. Iíve owned the car since 2010. The engine number doesnít match the vehicle serial number. I believe they were made in the same month, August 1965. I want to increase the engine size to 1600 by changing the cylinder/pistons & heads. Would this cause problems? Iíve already converted the electrical to 12 volt.
Digger89L

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine number and the chassis number will not be 'the same'. According to the extensive database on www.thesamba.com, the chassis number is from Aug 1965, and the engine number is from March, 1966. This could mean that the engine was replaced under warranty (just a guess) ...or perhaps a previous owner replaced the engine, and tried to get one as close as possible to the chassis number date.
Bugsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I didnít know the serial numbers didnít match. I thought the engine number was so low that it had to be made very early too. F0060580 I assumed would be the 60580 engine made & my Bug was number 54077. I tried to look at Samba but couldnít find the chart. Thanks for your help.
h~moto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where the chart is:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
I think Digger added an extra digit when he looked up your engine number. Both the serial number and the engine number appear to be from August `65. I think it is very likely that you have the original engine. I would want a 1300 engine in my `66, but if a 1600 is important to you, then I would suggest getting another engine.
Digger89L

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ...h-moto is correct: I was one digit off. Sorry for the misdirection!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> My 1966 VW Beetle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: