My 1966 Beetle

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Bugsley

My 1966 Beetle

Post by Bugsley »

My bugs serial # ends in 054077. My “F” engine # ends in 060580. I’ve owned the car since 2010. The engine number doesn’t match the vehicle serial number. I believe they were made in the same month, August 1965. I want to increase the engine size to 1600 by changing the cylinder/pistons & heads. Would this cause problems? I’ve already converted the electrical to 12 volt.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

The engine number and the chassis number will not be 'the same'. According to the extensive database on www.thesamba.com, the chassis number is from Aug 1965, and the engine number is from March, 1966. This could mean that the engine was replaced under warranty (just a guess) ...or perhaps a previous owner replaced the engine, and tried to get one as close as possible to the chassis number date.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Bugsley

Post by Bugsley »

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know the serial numbers didn’t match. I thought the engine number was so low that it had to be made very early too. F0060580 I assumed would be the 60580 engine made & my Bug was number 54077. I tried to look at Samba but couldn’t find the chart. Thanks for your help.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Here is where the chart is:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... dating.php
I think Digger added an extra digit when he looked up your engine number. Both the serial number and the engine number appear to be from August `65. I think it is very likely that you have the original engine. I would want a 1300 engine in my `66, but if a 1600 is important to you, then I would suggest getting another engine.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Sorry ...h-moto is correct: I was one digit off. Sorry for the misdirection!!
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."