Window rubber with trim? Why are so many using just black?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Roadbug

Window rubber with trim? Why are so many using just black?

Post by Roadbug »

It's time to change the dried out original windshield and the rear window rubber seals. I noticed many cars going to just black seals instead of the inserted aluminum trim type. Why? Is it had to find or hard to install or is trim going away like white wall tires?
I've always liked the looks of the original and need a top source for keeping it original. Any suggestions?
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Yes it the original is harder to install and the cost of the original seals are also a factor in many peoples decision to go solid black. I went black last time I painted and will go with the aluminum trim with this re-spray.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Three words: Because they're lazy.

I've done it in the past too, so I'm just as guilty. To many people, it doesn't make any difference, but I'm a stock fanatic and love the look of the garnish molding. Wolfsburg West has everything, or you can find used metal trim. The advantage of used trim is it's already bent to shape.

You can save yourself some time on the rear quarter windows by finding a set of popouts. Not only do they improve the ventilation a lot, but your car is predrilled for them under the headliner. This was done so the dealers could install them quick and easy.
Roadbug

window moldings with trim

Post by Roadbug »

I have all the trim. my original stuff.
I need new headliner and window rubbers installed with trim in rear, side and windshield.
Due to a recently fused wrist I'm not about to try it myself, yet. I don't know who to trust to do it right.
Anybody know of a shop in north Georgia or the Carolina's that they would recommend for this task
PaulDobbin@aol.com
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Roadbug

window seals with trim

Post by Roadbug »

Does anybody make new seals with the trim in it already?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That wouldn't work, because there would be no way to stretch it onto the glass. The seal goes on the glass first, then the trim is installed in the rubber, and then the whole thing is installed in the car.