Windshield pillar antenna

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Windshield pillar antenna

Post by Digger89L »

Will the windshield pillar antenna fit on my 66 Beetle? (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... fm?ID=ZVW7) ...if not, why not? I know that antenna position is not 'original' to the 66 VW ...but I don't think there was an 'original' position, as all antennas were dealer mounted - some on the left side, some on the right side. My original 66 Beetle (which was only 2 years old when I acquired it) had a dealer mounted antenna on the front passenger side fender, just behind the turn signal. Weird.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

It will work if you can cut that oblong hole in the body of your car and get it right.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Yes the pillar antenna would work if you can cut the hole. As you said, the radio was a dealer item and with that they installed antennas in many locations and used many types.

Seems to me that the pillar antenna may be problematic for a tight water seal due to the angles. I know I have seem a few bugs out there with rust at the pillar antenna.

Mine is on the drivers quarter as dealer installed. The dealer was down the road from my house growing up and they installed all there as it was flat and an easy place to drill a couple of holes. It also seals well because it is flat.

Good Luck!
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

I get often asked why the Bosch antenna on my '66 is mounted in such tight place, I don't have a clear answer, it was not my choice but I believe it was originally mounted in Germany around '67 before the car being shipped to California. Dealers in the US seemed to prefer side installations...I personally don't mind the current location but I don't drive in the rain and I can see how moisture could collect at the base and create problems...
Attachments
IMG_20180812_175959015.jpg
IMG_20180812_175959015.jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 3787 times