Brazilian or German

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Myfusca

Brazilian or German

Post by Myfusca »

I’m buying a 66 made in Brazil. The same one made in Germany is doubled in price? Are they the same exact cars ? Or is the quality that much better from Germany. I’m sure the ones made in Germany are more sought after. But are they really superior?
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

You would have to compare the two cars, feature for feature, because in some countries even though a car was marketed as a 1966 model, it was so in name only. In a lot of places (not sure if Brazil was one of them) VW never did the upgrades ("progressive refinements") that they did for the German or North American markets. For example, some markets never moved beyond the 1964 Beetle style (smaller engines, smaller windows, etc).
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

This is what Wikipedia says, in part, about VW Beetle production in Brazil:
Brazilian assembly of the Beetle, where it is called "Fusca", started in 1953, with parts imported from Germany. By January 1959 the cars were built in the new São Bernardo do Campo plant, although they originally had 60% German parts content.[86] By the mid-sixties, the cars had 99.93% Brazilian parts content, with four German parts of a combined value of about one US dollar still being imported.[86] Production continued until 1986. In 1993 production resumed and continued to 1996. The Brazilian version retained the 1958–64 body style (Europe and U.S. version) with the thick door pillars and smaller side windows. This body style was also produced in Mexico until 1971. Around 1973, all Brazilian Beetles (1300 and 1500 series) were updated with the 1968-up sheet metal, bumpers, and four-lug rims; although the five-stud rims and "bugeye" headlights were produced as late as 1972 (the base VW 1200 and 1300 manufactured in Brazil was similar to the 1964 European/U.S. 1200 until the 1970 model year but came with vented wheels since the mid-1960s). The 1971 and 1972 1300s had the 1964-era taillights and headlights, fuel tank, but fitted with the 1968-up raised bumpers.

So ...it is as I stated in my earlier post: an 1966 Brazilian Beetle would look like a German / North American 1964 Beetle, with the smaller windows, etc.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."