Clips & rubber seals for interior panels

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Seibert66

Clips & rubber seals for interior panels

Post by Seibert66 »

I'm in the process of re-installing my original door panels...Wolfsburg West sent me a package of 56 rubber seals (boots).

If I counted correctly... the front panels use 23 clips (x2) and the rear quarter panel 9 (x2) for a grand total of 64.

Wolfsburg claims that 56 seals will cover the whole installation..does it mean in some areas the clips are used straight into the corresponding holes without any seal? For example on the B pillar?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

If you had all 64 with clips, I think you would find that not all 9 will work on the rear panels. When I installed mine I found it impossible to use all 9 and get them to align with the curve of the body and the holes. Good luck.
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Thanks for the advice, you are right...and I noticed that it will work out anyway because the backseat will keep everything tight once I put it back together...
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

If you 'pre-form' the rear panels to the shape of the body, you'll find it easier to install the panel with all the clips. Before putting the upholstery on the panel, dampen it slightly and install it on the car. Use a heat-gun to dry the panel in place and will take on the curves of the body. You may have to do this procedure a couple of times to get an almost perfect fit. When the panel is curved to where you need it to be, install the upholstery, and then install the panel on the car.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Thank you guys for all the advice, I really appreciate it!
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Great advice Digger!