Diagnosing Shifting Issue

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

mnkytail

Diagnosing Shifting Issue

Post by mnkytail »

I'm trying to diagnose a shifting issue. When the car is running it'll occasionally have trouble getting into 1st, almost like the shifter just won't go forward when you push it into that gear. The rest of the time, getting into 1st feels like you are pushing against something and then it moves into gear. There is no grinding. Additionally, about 50% of the time when I'm shifting from 3rd to 2nd it will find 4th instead. With the car off i can shift through the gear pretty easily up and down. No other issues at all going from 2nd to 3rd and then to 4th, and even from 4th to 3rd is good.

Is this a shifter, a coupling issue or a tranny issue?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

I would check the coupler first.
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

When I look at the coupler how do I know if it is bad or still good? I've had the car for a year, checked it out the other day and it seemed in tact.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Compare the movement of the trans shaft to the shift rod when the gear shifter is being moved. Maybe do an internet video search of the words "shift coupler volkswagen".
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

Thanks I'll check it out. Found this tech note on Mid America Motorworks site, "Tech note: To check if your Shift Rod Coupler is bad, with 2 pair of pliers and grab the shift rod and the hockey stick. Twist the rods a little to see if you have any play. If there is play, you can experience shifting problems and it is recommended that you replace the coupling."

Will look up the video as well. As always this site is super helpful.
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

Follow up question - can you change out the coupler without taking the shifter off? I'm worried about messing up the alignment on the shifter.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

can you change out the coupler without taking the shifter off?
Yes.
mnkytail

Post by mnkytail »

Took apart shifter coupler and removed the shift rod. Bushing was completely gone. Replaced the bushings in the coupler and put it all back together. Works so much better. Thanks for the help! This was my first major repair and it went pretty decently. Took me about four hours to dismantle, clean and install the new parts.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Great going!!