A couple more questions

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Stan Voogd

A couple more questions

Post by Stan Voogd »

I have a restored original 66 deluxe sedan. When I took it in for an oil change the two mechanics who are very knowledgeable about the car remarked that my distributor cap was incorrect. It is kind of a reddish brown and they say it should be black. I ordered a new one from Wolfsburgwest expecting it to be black (the picture showed it as black) but when I opened the box, it was reddish brown. Which is correct? Wolfsburg says they do not have a black one.
Second question: My original key for the ignition/door lock does not look like the key in my owners manual. The owners manual shows a key that is symmetrical with the VW crosswise. My key is asymmetrical with the VW lengthwise. I sent two emails to gabvwkey.com asking for clarification but got no response. My key says SU 94 on it so I believe that is correct, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I've been collecting 'reference photos' of 66 bugs for several years now, trying mostly to get pics of 'unmolested' original cars. And almost all of the ones that appear to be original show a black distributor cap ....even on my project car that I bought back on 2013 (it had been driven daily up til 1996). I see a very few 66's with the reddish brown distributor cap. Cip1 sells a black repro distributor cap: VWC-111-905-207-C - REPRODUCTION DISTRIBUTOR CAP - BEETLE 65-68 .

...and, I think your ignition key should look like this one that Cip1 sells as an OE (original equipment) logo style key. VWC-111-837-219 - OE GENUINE VW It doesn't matter what the 'profile' (SU, SC, etc.) is ...the key itself should look the same. That being said, the VW logo key very commonly has the logo rotated 90 degrees ....usually made by 'Huf' which was a common supplier of VW keys and ignition switches. So ....I guess either style of key could be considered 'proper'. Apparently in 1967, they switch to the non-logo style key.

(PS: I apologize on behalf of this forum for the slow response to questions like this ...not much traffic over here. Also helps to post questions like this to the 'technical' section)
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Stan Voogd

Post by Stan Voogd »

Thanks so much for the info.