1966 driver's side window regulator

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Seibert66

1966 driver's side window regulator

Post by Seibert66 »

I noticed that my window regulator's grooves where the window crank supposed to latch on are completely stripped and that's why the crank is spinning with no grip at all. I attached a photo for reference.
I assume there's no easy fix other than finding an original (1965, 66 or 67) German regulator and substitute the whole unit.
Does anybody know of any alternative fix other than substituting the whole piece? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (92.8 KiB) Viewed 4476 times

Post by 1300 »

I stripped my regulator out by forcing it in winter when the old grease was solid. I used the Wolfsburg West regulator. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 111837501F

It has been three years and it works well. I think the only way to fix your problem is to switch whole regulator.

Casey
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Thanks for your feedback, Casey!
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Luckily I found a 65 regulator that fits very well...I almost forgot how nice it is to have a functioning window!!! it took me a while to figure out how to install it correctly because I didn't realize that the window vent needed to move out of the way...LOL :)))
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

For future reference: I've fixed problems like this by cutting a matching width strip of pop-can aluminum and forming one or two layers over the stripped splines on the regulator post, rounding it over on the front edge a bit, then gently forcing (by hand or with a small rubber mallet) the window crank handle onto the post. Tin foil will work in some cases. I've also seen this fix done with JB Weld: clean all the oil and grease off the splines; mix up the glue, form a layer over the post to fill the splines; then slide the crank onto the post, leave for a few seconds, then slide it off and let the JB Weld cure. This process will usually fill in the splines enough to allow the window crank handle to seat tightly onto the post after the JB has cured and hardened.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Seibert66

Post by Seibert66 »

Wow, I had no idea you could do that...thanks for the info...