The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 driver's side window regulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seibert66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: 1966 driver's side window regulator Reply with quote

I noticed that my window regulator's grooves where the window crank supposed to latch on are completely stripped and that's why the crank is spinning with no grip at all. I attached a photo for reference.
I assume there's no easy fix other than finding an original (1965, 66 or 67) German regulator and substitute the whole unit.
Does anybody know of any alternative fix other than substituting the whole piece? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.8 KB
 Viewed:  132 Time(s)

photo.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped my regulator out by forcing it in winter when the old grease was solid. I used the Wolfsburg West regulator. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837501F

It has been three years and it works well. I think the only way to fix your problem is to switch whole regulator.

Casey
Seibert66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, Casey!
Seibert66

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I found a 65 regulator that fits very well...I almost forgot how nice it is to have a functioning window!!! it took me a while to figure out how to install it correctly because I didn't realize that the window vent needed to move out of the way...LOL Smile))
Digger89L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference: I've fixed problems like this by cutting a matching width strip of pop-can aluminum and forming one or two layers over the stripped splines on the regulator post, rounding it over on the front edge a bit, then gently forcing (by hand or with a small rubber mallet) the window crank handle onto the post. Tin foil will work in some cases. I've also seen this fix done with JB Weld: clean all the oil and grease off the splines; mix up the glue, form a layer over the post to fill the splines; then slide the crank onto the post, leave for a few seconds, then slide it off and let the JB Weld cure. This process will usually fill in the splines enough to allow the window crank handle to seat tightly onto the post after the JB has cured and hardened.
Seibert66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea you could do that...thanks for the info...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: