The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emergency flasher switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfernick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Emergency flasher switch Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was just looking for some information really out of curiosity. I have recently bought a 66 Beetle registered 20th July 66. I see from the “model year changes” page on the website that the emergency flasher was located above the igntion this year- mine isn’t. Is this unusual or is it just another variant in the model year?

Thanks

Nick
h~moto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the flasher switch located somewhere else on the dash or is there not a flasher switch? `66 Beetles for the European market did not come with flashers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would yours be a late 1965 model? I thought August 1 was when the new model year started. Do you have a center defrost vent on the dash? What is the VIN? Casey
h~moto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would yours be a late 1965 model?

I think you might have misread his date. It is July of 1966 which would make it a late `66.

Quote:
I thought August 1 was when the new model year started.

The short answer is yes. Actually, August 2nd 1965 (Monday) is the date that Progressive Refinements gives for the start of the `66 model.

However, I have a very early `66 (116000423) that according to the birth certificate was produced on July 7, 1965. This contradicts the info in Progressive Refinements. The birth certificate does give August 2nd as the "left factory on" date. I don't mean to hijack this thread. Hopefully Nick will chime in.
Surfernick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response- I’m on holiday till Sunday. I’m sure the Beetle doesn’t even have a flasher switch at all but will have to double check when I’m back

The VRM of the car is HUT581D if that helps anyone? I have the original log book etc and the VIN does match up with the correct car and year. I shall post the VIN on the forum when I’m back from holiday.

As far as the defrost vent in the centre. Yes it does have one. From what I can see everything on my Beetle is as it should be per the model difference page except the flasher.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did read that wrong. Thanks Casey
Surfernick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so the VIN is 116922492, engine number 0826481. It’s a 1300 deluxe.

Cheers
h~moto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be built early June, maybe late May of 1966. Is there an 'F' in front of the engine number?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: