another starter problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

stevoidnic

another starter problem

Post by stevoidnic »

I have a 6 volt '66 and the starter has always woked fine but I began to have issues last year. This year the solenoid will engage and the starter will slowly turn a very little bit and after 3 tries I have to charge the battery. I pulled the starter and had it checked at a starter repair shop and it checked okay. I also replaced the bushing. I had the battery testedand it is good. I ran a jumper cable from the starter mounting bolt to the neg. battery terminal to see if it was a bad ground typical in VW's. No change Any ideas
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

stevoidnic wrote: I had the battery tested and it is good.
Are you sure that it's not a weak battery? I know that you had it tested, but it may not be producing enough cranking amps. Some batteries when new will not be strong enough, due to resistance in the system.

I had slow cranking and difficulty starting before I bought a 6 volt redtop Optima battery. They aren't cheap, but they don't leak and crank well. I've had mine for 4 years with no problems.

Also check all connections for corrosion and fit. I like to use dielectric grease on these points to prevent corrosion.
stevoidnic

Post by stevoidnic »

Thanks,
I checked with the starter repair guy and he said it was probably the battery. According to him, the 6 volt batteries they are producing these days only last about 4 years especially if they are stored in an unheated barn during a Vermont winter.
I bought a new battery yesterday and it started up with no problems.