1966 beetle tranny mounting

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

frwent

1966 beetle tranny mounting

Post by frwent »

The frame for my 1966 Bahama Blue VW was stored for 10 years on its end in my shop. Above the floor on bricks. But the shop floods. Now the sockets for the tranny bolts are rusted and will not thread the mounting bolts. I have tried wire brushed on a Dremel tool and wire brushes with handles and cannot get the two mounting bolts to start.

Any ideas here?? Thanks!

Post by 1300 »

Buy a spare Trans/horn bolt. Use a cutting wheel to cut grooves in bolt. Maybe three or four. It will chase the threads and the grooves will hold the dirt. I'm not sure of the thread size or pitch. I am sure if you found a tap to the right size it would cost a fortune. Use plenty of oil or WD-40 when cleaning threads. Best of luck, Casey
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Moved to Mechanical/Technical thread
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I thought this WAS the Technical / Mechanical section???

Idea: find a cork that will fit into the bolt holes. Cut the corks short, but not too short ...then plug the holes with corks. Using a syringe filled with vinegar, push the needle through one cork and fill the bolt hole with vinegar ...let it work for 24 hours or so. Use a metal 'bottle brush' style wire brush to clean the threads ....repeat. repeat. Might also work using styro foam instead of cork. Did this once to fix a bike ....
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It is there now, but was originally posted in new member introductions. Much better help available here.....
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

...or, you could the vinegar trick by standing the frame up again, and putting each socket in a container with enough vinegar in it to cover the threads ...and let it soak for a few days. Same difference ....
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."