Pitted cylinder heads & pystons

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Pitted cylinder heads & pystons

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I wonder, for parts that have done about 5000Kms car mileage, what might have been the issue to warrant such damage? (Is it an issue of carb tune-up? Running rich or lean???which one?)

Sorry- image too large- thing is, it almost looks like an arc welding job was going on in there (in the combustion chamber)
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

There's the image.
Attachments
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG (62.59 KiB) Viewed 9195 times
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That's terrible for such low mileage.

It could be running rich, or you could be having detonation problems. This can be caused by too high compression for the lousy grade of gas you're using. Did the engine ping or diesel?

A solution could be lowering the compression ratio by shimming the heads. (Or find a higher octane gas.)
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hi Blue Baron.

What about running lean? I have observed something in the recent past- my fuel pump doesn't pump efficiently- apparently the fuel pump shaft is shorter than (compared to another- I actually didn't know they came in different lengths) what should be on the engine so I end up getting insufficient fuel supply which in turn gives me hesitation on high raves. I suspect I end up running lean.

The other factors you stated may be so. I didn't understand the sentence "...did the engine ping or diesel?" I use petrol.

I have since put the engine aside as until I can fix those heads. I, fortunately have another similar engine that's in use.

I may wish to say, of all other engines used, I've never seen such (including the "spare engine"in use...and all factors seem constant. I suspect it might have been poor timing or as I mentioned above...well. I'm still in more "grey" than light about it.
Thanks.