The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkinsr2

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Engine Swap Reply with quote

Hi all, this is my 1st post & its a quick question. My 66 bug is still 6 volt & is just a daily driver. The engine is tired. I have the chance to get a good running dual port 1600. I really don't want to convert to 12 volt (my operating 6 volt radio still has the dealers warranty tag on it!!). Will my generator & stand fit on the dual port manifold & the dog house fan shroud?? I know about the clutch & flywheel, but that should be a straight swap, Right?? Thanks in advance, Roger....

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can swap the 12 volt generator stand for a 6 volt no problem. You will have to determine if your current flywheel has an o-ring in it or not. Early 66 engines did not have an o-ring. If your current 6 volt flywheel has an o-ring, it will fit the 12 volt crankshaft. You will need a pack of 12 volt flywheel shims to set endplay. The 6 volt crankshaft and 12 volt crankshaft have different diameters. http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1362.htm. If current flywheel has no o-ring you will need to find a 6 volt flywheel with o-ring. Hope this helps, Casey
hopkinsr2

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 1300.. What do you mean the 6 & 12 V cranks are a different dia?? You mean where the flywheel fits to the crank?? Or do you mean the flywheels are different dia??? Sorry, Roger.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, where the flywheel mates with crank. Until April 66 there was no o-ring on flywheel. There is a step machined on end of crank. It is shallower on a non o ring flywheel, longer on a 12 volt crank, so it will sit deeper in flywheel for o ring to seal. The correct flywheel must mate with correct crankshaft. The flywheel shims are just a bit bigger on inside diameter of shim. I think they are same outer diameter. It will work with newer 1600 engine, you may need a different flywheel. What is your engine number on the 66 engine? Casey

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should answer a few questions better. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650327&highlight=crankshaft+flywheel
Roadbug

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: 1300 Flywheel Reply with quote

Roger,
My 66 VW has the original transmission and flywheel with a 1500 engine installed as the replacement. When I had it resealed they showed me that the flywheel had been redrilled to accomodate the 1500 to the 1300 transmission. Apparently they are different.

hopkinsr2

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, All.. When I get the car out of storage, I'll get the eng #.. Roger
hopkinsr2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1300 wrote:
Yes, where the flywheel mates with crank. Until April 66 there was no o-ring on flywheel. There is a step machined on end of crank. It is shallower on a non o ring flywheel, longer on a 12 volt crank, so it will sit deeper in flywheel for o ring to seal. The correct flywheel must mate with correct crankshaft. The flywheel shims are just a bit bigger on inside diameter of shim. I think they are same outer diameter. It will work with newer 1600 engine, you may need a different flywheel. What is your engine number on the 66 engine? Casey

I found my engine # , It's H0366647,, Does that tell you anything as far as the O ring on the 6 volt flywheel goes??? Thanks, Roger
hopkinsr2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the data on thesamba, My engine is a 1500 that was built mid Aug 1966, does this sound right?? & if so, it should have the O ring seal, correct?? Thanks Lots , Roger...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SHOULD be an O ring flywheel and crank. Casey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: