Need Help Installing Deves Rings for 1300cc 77mm Pistons

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

moundtop

Need Help Installing Deves Rings for 1300cc 77mm Pistons

Post by moundtop »

I am doing a stock restoration of my 1300cc engine. Managed to find a set of NOS 77mm cylinders and pistons. Purchased a new set of Deves rings (No. 1838 STD) for these pistons because they are reported to break-in very quickly. The ring set consists of a top compression ring (#1), a middle compression ring (#2) and a 4-part oil ring that goes in the bottom piston groove. Here's my problem: The Deves generic instructions say that compression ring #2 should be installed with the "scrapper tooth" pointed down. However, the set of #2 rings that I received in the box do not have a scrapper tooth. In fact, the #2 compression rings look just like the #1 compression rings. Once more, neither compression ring is marked with a "top" label as usually encountered for VW rings.
If anyone has installed Deves rings on their 1300cc pistons...Can you remember if your compression rings had such a "scraper tooth"??? I have tried contacting the vendor but they don't seem to know whether my situation is "normal" or whether I received a "faulty" set of rings.
Any information about this situation would be appreciated.
Frank Schieber
Vermillion, SD

Post by 1300 »

Hi Frank, I think I am the guy you bought the pistons/cylinders from. Were there problems with the rings? I used a set just as yours on a 1300 I built last year and had no issues with the rings that were installed on the VISCA set. I searched Deves Scrapper and this popped up. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0
I wish I had an answer for you about orientation of the ring. The part number for the rings is 111 198 257B. I have a couple sets of NOS rings, ATE and Goetze if you do not want to use the Deves. I have always seen the "Top" engraved on ring to tell the orientation. Casey

Post by 1300 »

I would use these. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1961468
The picture is blurry, but I have same box and it says 1300, made in W. Germany. Price is good too! Good luck.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

This looks like a good deal and I would like to order from him. But - I don't want to be a snake and end up buying the last one that the seller has available.
Moundtop, can you let me know if you decide not to buy from this seller? And if you do, let me know afterward and I will see if he has any left. Thanks.
moundtop

Post by moundtop »

1300. Thanks for the info re: the VISCA bore kit. I sent those pistons out to be balanced and plan to use them on yet another 1300 stock build later this summer...I believe that I will use the VISCA rings now that I've heard a good report about their performance The Deves rings are for a set of 77mm 1300cc MAHLE pistons that I am using for my current rebuild project.

The VISCA pistons were balanced by RIMCO and the MAHLE pistons by DPR. Both machine shops did a good job on these tiny pistons.

Funny that you should call my attention to the 77mm 1300 GOETZE German rings on TheSamba as I just purchased a set on eBay as a backup for the Deves rings should my question remain unresolved.

h~moto
I just contacted the seller of the GOETZE rings with a plan to purchase two sets. I believe that he will have 3 sets left after his sale to me. Thanks for not poaching.