Engine Swap

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

hopkinsr2

Engine Swap

Post by hopkinsr2 »

Hi all, this is my 1st post & its a quick question. My 66 bug is still 6 volt & is just a daily driver. The engine is tired. I have the chance to get a good running dual port 1600. I really don't want to convert to 12 volt (my operating 6 volt radio still has the dealers warranty tag on it!!). Will my generator & stand fit on the dual port manifold & the dog house fan shroud?? I know about the clutch & flywheel, but that should be a straight swap, Right?? Thanks in advance, Roger....

Post by 1300 »

Yes, you can swap the 12 volt generator stand for a 6 volt no problem. You will have to determine if your current flywheel has an o-ring in it or not. Early 66 engines did not have an o-ring. If your current 6 volt flywheel has an o-ring, it will fit the 12 volt crankshaft. You will need a pack of 12 volt flywheel shims to set endplay. The 6 volt crankshaft and 12 volt crankshaft have different diameters. http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1362.htm. If current flywheel has no o-ring you will need to find a 6 volt flywheel with o-ring. Hope this helps, Casey
hopkinsr2

Post by hopkinsr2 »

Thanks, 1300.. What do you mean the 6 & 12 V cranks are a different dia?? You mean where the flywheel fits to the crank?? Or do you mean the flywheels are different dia??? Sorry, Roger.

Post by 1300 »

Yes, where the flywheel mates with crank. Until April 66 there was no o-ring on flywheel. There is a step machined on end of crank. It is shallower on a non o ring flywheel, longer on a 12 volt crank, so it will sit deeper in flywheel for o ring to seal. The correct flywheel must mate with correct crankshaft. The flywheel shims are just a bit bigger on inside diameter of shim. I think they are same outer diameter. It will work with newer 1600 engine, you may need a different flywheel. What is your engine number on the 66 engine? Casey

Post by 1300 »

This should answer a few questions better. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... t+flywheel
Roadbug

1300 Flywheel

Post by Roadbug »

Roger,
My 66 VW has the original transmission and flywheel with a 1500 engine installed as the replacement. When I had it resealed they showed me that the flywheel had been redrilled to accomodate the 1500 to the 1300 transmission. Apparently they are different.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
hopkinsr2

Post by hopkinsr2 »

Thanks, All.. When I get the car out of storage, I'll get the eng #.. Roger
hopkinsr2

Post by hopkinsr2 »

1300 wrote:Yes, where the flywheel mates with crank. Until April 66 there was no o-ring on flywheel. There is a step machined on end of crank. It is shallower on a non o ring flywheel, longer on a 12 volt crank, so it will sit deeper in flywheel for o ring to seal. The correct flywheel must mate with correct crankshaft. The flywheel shims are just a bit bigger on inside diameter of shim. I think they are same outer diameter. It will work with newer 1600 engine, you may need a different flywheel. What is your engine number on the 66 engine? Casey
I found my engine # , It's H0366647,, Does that tell you anything as far as the O ring on the 6 volt flywheel goes??? Thanks, Roger
hopkinsr2

Post by hopkinsr2 »

According to the data on thesamba, My engine is a 1500 that was built mid Aug 1966, does this sound right?? & if so, it should have the O ring seal, correct?? Thanks Lots , Roger...

Post by 1300 »

Yes, SHOULD be an O ring flywheel and crank. Casey