Driver side mirror?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Satterra

Driver side mirror?

Post by Satterra »

I recently purchased a 66 fully restored bug, but note that there are no door mirrors. Was the 66 ever sold without at least the driver side door mirror?

Post by 1300 »

A mirror was always on the driver's side, as far as I know. The passenger side mirrors were dealer accessories. Hopefully there is a pin in the hinge that will accept a mirror. Casey
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Right. I agree with 1300, they came with a drivers side mirror.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The driver's side mirror was always an accessory that everyone had to buy. The cars came from the factory with a threaded mount on the top hinge pin, covered by a plastic cap that was painted body color. These caps are very rare as they were thrown away by the dealer when the mirror was installed. (This also explains why there was no "correct" mirror, as the dealerships installed whichever type of mirror they bought in bulk, usually from Volkswagen of America.)

If your hinge pin does not have the threaded mount for the mirror base, you will either have to have the proper hinge pin pressed in, mount the mirror in a different way, or replace the door.