Selling a car into the USA from Canada? Anyone done it?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Selling a car into the USA from Canada? Anyone done it?

Post by Digger89L »

Looking for some insight from any of my fellow Canadian members who may have sold a VW bug to a USA buyer, or from a USA buyer who bought from Canada. Curious about the process, paperwork, hassles, etc?
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Wow. I can't believe NO ONE has anything to contribute to this conversation!! Fortunately, I was able to (after a considerable wait, as well) get some input from members on the forum at TheSamba.com.
For anyone who may be interested, here's a link to the US site where people in the USA can go for info about 'importing' a vehicle into the USA. I hope someone finds it helpful. Thanks to The Samba member Globespotter.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... rsonal-use
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Sorry I had no point of reference. Now importing from Florida to Georgia, I could have helped.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Thanks for the note. No problem. I was just surprised that no one had anything to contribute. I figured it must be a fairly common practice (US buyers taking in cars from Canada) ...but, I guess not. And, for the inexperienced buyer, I guess the process that does exist is just too complicated or confusing. I've had numerous inquiries from potential US buyers, but once I point out that its a matter of them 'importing' a car, rather than me 'exporting' a car, I seldom hear back from them.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Maybe they were all only thinking VW's and many might not have done this. Glad you found answers.