Average fuel Consumption of the air cooled

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Average fuel Consumption of the air cooled

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.

I believe one good sign of a well running engine is the miles per gallon you would be able to achieve (definitely with ones driving taken into consideration). At an average, what is the expected mpg for the various air cooled engine sizes on the different bodies?

At my best, on my 1300cc engine on the beetle I got 24Km/litre. My 1600cc engine on the transporter gave me 12Km/litre over the same distance (650 Km)
Is that a fair deal??
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

It seems good!
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Thanks
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I don't have a 'modern' comparison, but back in the day (late 60's early 70's) I used to routinely get 34 mpg (Imperial gallon) on long highway trips with my low mileage 66 Beetle. That's the equivalent of 8.3 litres per 100km (the standard modern measurement) or 12 kilometres per litre (again comparing using Imperial gallons). I find it difficult to believe that you're getting 24 km/litre, which is the equivalent of 67.8 miles per imperial gallon (or 56 mpg in US gallons) ...
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Digger89L, believe it or not, I fueled my '67 with 34 liters and it covered me a distance of 651 Km and left me with about 10 Ltrs of fuel (I believe much more)

That was the experience two way only that I used a longer route going. It was a first of a journey of its kind for me in a Beetle and I went the whole journey documenting every Km and every fuel top-up....
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

KKV270 ....I'm still skeptical, even with the clarified numbers. Not sure if you're using Imperial Gallons or the smaller US gallon conversion (but I'll guess that Kenya, being a former British colony, would convert litres to Imperial gallons, and vice-versa).
So: 651 kms = 404 miles
34 litres = 7 Imperial gallons (8.9 US gallons)
404 divided by 7 = 57.7 miles per imperial gallon (or 44.8 miles per US gallon)
You say you believe you had more than 10 litres left ...but the tank only holds 40 litres. The owner's manual for the 67 beetle says it has a fuel consumption rating of 32.1 mpg (Imp. gallon); 26.7 mpg (US gallon); or 8.8 litres per 100km.
You need to do this kind of rating with much more accuracy ..even a half litre error either way can make a huge difference in the calculations. So, best to start with a completely empty fuel tank (not just on the gas guage, but on a visual inspection to remove gas gauge error from the equation) ...a correctly measured volume of gas, and a steady-driving long trip. That will give you a more accurate measurement .....AND, proper boasting rights!!
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

I concede to your sound advice. I do have my documentation of the former.
I will do it all over again starting with an empty tank and compare the notes. I will soon get the opportunity to do the same drive hoping all other factors will hold constant.
Thanks.