1966 Frankenstein starter problems

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

66frankenstein

1966 Frankenstein starter problems

Post by 66frankenstein »

I have a hunting buggy built from a 1966 beetle. I don't know all that has been done, but I know a 12v starter and bushing fit properly. Here's my issue. I had a spark plug wire fail and it ran 3 cylinders for a couple of minutes. I tried starting and ran down the battery. I charged the battery back up and now when I try to start it, the starter rarely engages the fly wheel. When it does, there's a bad grinding noise and it won't start the engine. Please help. I've read through these forums and most of you folks are brilliant.[/img]
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

seems like you lost teeth somewhere and it just coincided with the wires falling off. Remove the starter and see if teeth are missing. The other issue could be the bronze bushing wore out. I have never seen a flywheel strip out. To prove not the flywheel. Manually turn the engine 1.4 turn by the pulley and try to see if it engages.
66frankenstein

Post by 66frankenstein »

I have removed the starter and no teeth are missing. It was new 2 weeks ago. There are some metal shavings in the bell housing by the starter. I'm beginning to think the bendix isn't fully engaging because sometimes the starter just spins. Sometimes it sounds like it's grinding the flywheel away to nothing
WSJ

Clean up the flywheel teeth

Post by WSJ »

Before you install a rebuilt starter, replace the bushing and clean up the flywheel teeth. Use a Dremel to shape the face of the teeth and a large file to dress the tops. The ring gear is softer than the Bendix gear, therefore, if you hear grinding the ring gear is loosing material.