The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 Frankenstein starter problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
66frankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: 1966 Frankenstein starter problems Reply with quote

I have a hunting buggy built from a 1966 beetle. I don't know all that has been done, but I know a 12v starter and bushing fit properly. Here's my issue. I had a spark plug wire fail and it ran 3 cylinders for a couple of minutes. I tried starting and ran down the battery. I charged the battery back up and now when I try to start it, the starter rarely engages the fly wheel. When it does, there's a bad grinding noise and it won't start the engine. Please help. I've read through these forums and most of you folks are brilliant.[/img]
darzoom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like you lost teeth somewhere and it just coincided with the wires falling off. Remove the starter and see if teeth are missing. The other issue could be the bronze bushing wore out. I have never seen a flywheel strip out. To prove not the flywheel. Manually turn the engine 1.4 turn by the pulley and try to see if it engages.
66frankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the starter and no teeth are missing. It was new 2 weeks ago. There are some metal shavings in the bell housing by the starter. I'm beginning to think the bendix isn't fully engaging because sometimes the starter just spins. Sometimes it sounds like it's grinding the flywheel away to nothing
WSJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Clean up the flywheel teeth Reply with quote

Before you install a rebuilt starter, replace the bushing and clean up the flywheel teeth. Use a Dremel to shape the face of the teeth and a large file to dress the tops. The ring gear is softer than the Bendix gear, therefore, if you hear grinding the ring gear is loosing material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: