Transmission nose cone

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Deckgun

Transmission nose cone

Post by Deckgun »

Have a 66 that I have took down and replaced 3/4 of the pan so far, starting putting it back together now. Transmission front nose cone is damaged, but probably usable, one bolt hole open. PN is 131.301211B, I have another nose cone that I would like to use it is the same part number with out the B. Appears the only difference is the back up light switch on the replacement. Just thought I would check before putting it on.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

The 1966 bug didn't have back-up lights ...so, no back-up light switch on the nose cone. Back-up lights came starting with the 1967 model ...so, you have a 1967 or new replacement nose cone. As far as I understand, the swap should would, and the bonus will be that you can install back-up lights on your 66 !!
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Deckgun

Post by Deckgun »

Thanks Digger, Exactly what I thought! Only did a few transmissions when I worked for VW and that was over 40 years ago so thought I should confirm what I recalled. Yeah I will run a wire and install some back up lights that I can remove if I go to a show or rally I guess. The switch works, checked it with an Ohm meter. Have a great New Year, Deckgun.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

FYI, from 60-66 there was also a one back-up light option (dealer installed) that had a switch (Hella and Bosch both made them) that was attached to the speedo. The switch had a hot lead that went to the fuse block and one to the lights in the back of the car. It sensed the cable going in reverse and turned the lights on.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

darzoom wrote:FYI, from 60-66 there was also a one back-up light option (dealer installed) that had a switch (Hella and Bosch both made them) that was attached to the speedo. The switch had a hot lead that went to the fuse block and one to the lights in the back of the car. It sensed the cable going in reverse and turned the lights on.
Wow Darzoom - what a cool fact and something I have never come across in the books I have - great thinking on the part of Hella and Bosch
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

It was offered in the dealer accessories catalog from 1961 t0 1966. Here is the catalog on The Samba:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/li ... sories.php
Attachments
backup2.jpg
backup2.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Very Cool!