Under dashboard heating pipes

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

tofufi

Under dashboard heating pipes

Post by tofufi »

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm just getting towards the end of my 1966 bug restoration :)

Does anyone have any photographs of the original routing for the under-dash heater pipes? I've got the Y pieces, but not sure exactly where they should be and how the tubes should be run. Am I right in thinking the two brackets on the boot (trunk) floor near the door pillars are for securing the heater tubes?
As it stands now...

Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

The diagram at the bottom of this page from Wolfsburg West shows the heater hose configuration for the front. And, if you click on the numbers it will show details of the individual components. I've taken photos of the hose routing in my 66 bug (before disassembly) to remind how to put it back together. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_ ... g_body.cfm
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Thanks for the link. I know what parts there are, I just can't see how they fit/route under the hood to connect together without getting in the way of the hinge mechanism :)
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Here's a couple of shots of the hose locations ...as the hoses come out of the wheel well area. The outer-most hoses go to the windshield lower right and left corner heat outlets, and the inner-most hoses are routed to the dash center vent outlet. On the driverside, the black hose snakes up over the radio speaker, and on the passenger side, it snakes up over the glove box. There are metal straps on the body to hold the hoses in place. Pretty straightforward, really.
Attachments
hose locations.jpg
hose locations.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
dash vent heater hoses.jpg
dash vent heater hoses.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."