H0 Motor in 66 Vert?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

thade

H0 Motor in 66 Vert?

Post by thade »

I have a November 1965 vert build date with what looks like an original 1500 motor and 12 volt electrical system. Can this be original? I know that F series motors were more common in early 1966 models with H0 motors not coming until later. And the 12 volt is a mystery. I thought that was not until 1967. Perhaps, it is just a very original looking conversion, but the voltage converter looks original under the back seat. I have sent off for a birth certificate so will know for sure in a few weeks - just curious about anyone's insights.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

All `66's would have the F series motors unless it was not a Deluxe in which case it would have come with a 1200 motor. The 1500 motor began at the start of the `67 model year.
Yes, I would say that the 12V system is a very original looking conversion.
thade

Thanks for the input.

Post by thade »

That's what I have been thinking. It is odd though that the motor number matches the build date time of the rest of the car. Must just be a coincidence. The generator also says 7V on it, so it may have been re-cored to 12 V.

Thanks!
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

I believe that Type 2's had the H0 motors starting with the `66 model year. Maybe that's what you got in your Beetle.