M-code clarification

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

M-code clarification

Post by Digger89L »

Confused about this: do I need to get a Birth Certificate to get the m-codes for my car? Or is that info located on the car somewhere??
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

As far as I know, M codes were for buses. Most Beetle accessories were installed by the dealer.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Okay ...that helps a bit. But, if you go this page on this forum: http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=333 you'll see a VW Beetle Birth Certificate with "M" codes listed at the bottom, showing what features the car left the factory with. My question is: is this information available anywhere else, other than thru a birth certificate?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

U.S. equipment, whitewall tires and hinged windows were among the only options installed by the factory in '66. (The sunroof technically wasn't an option, it was a different model.)

The only other place you'd find it listed is on the original window sticker and sales invoice along with whatever options the dealership installed.
Bandet

Post by Bandet »

There where m-codes for bugs. My 66 euro has three of them.
M 079 upholstery leatherette instead of material.
M 189 Asymmetric lights.
M 351 Special equipment for foreign markets. (This one is for my bumpers.)
There are some VW shop books out there. That list what the m-codes are. But they go for big big money & that's if you can find one. A guy on samba has one and helped me find out what some m-code on my 63 bug was. I'll see if I can find hims name for you.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

So ....did you get your M-codes from a birth certificate ...or were they marked on the car somewhere. Please explain ....thanks
Bandet

Post by Bandet »

The M-codes are found in your vin#. And you find them out on a birth certificate. M-codes are thing that are put on the bugs from the factory. Things that the dealer put on a bugs at there shop like radio's antenna's roof rack things like that won't be listed on birth certificate and won't have a m-code for them.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Yes, I clearly understand that dealer installed accessories would not show up on an M-code. That was the point of my original post when I started this thread. However, I think its a mistake to say that "m-codes are found in the vin#" ..that is clearly not the case, when there are only six other numbers in the chassis number, aside from the (in my case) 116 model designation number.

If you mean that 'm-codes can be found by sending your vin# to VW and getting a birth certificate' ...then I believe that is the case, and (as it seems) the only way to get any specific m-code numbers for a beetle sedan.
Bandet

Post by Bandet »

Ya the birth certificate is what I was taking about sorry about that. Here's a lenk for it to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

The 'birth certificate' that I ordered for my 66 at the end of February arrived today ..almost 4 months exactly. That's pretty good turnaround from what I've read.

Problem is ..it raises more questions than it answers. Turns out everything is 'normal' compared to what's on the car (L519 Bahama Blue, black leatherette upholstery, L289 blue-white wheel rims). It lists 3 m-codes: M044 being white wall tyres 'under customs seal' (does that mean they were shipped with the car, but no installed on the car?); M356 Equipment for Canada (but no other details); and M051 'cannot be identified'. I've checked the M-Code listing online, but no additional info there.

The other disappointment is that the engine that's in the car (F0 327 111) although 'period correct' (Oct/65) is (according to the letter with the certificat) not the original engine that was installed at the factory. And they don't say what the original engine number was ...why is that??

Good to have the info that I did receive .....anyone have anything helpful to add? Thanks
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Bandet

Post by Bandet »

They will not give you your right motor vin or case # because people where restamping other wrong cases to make it look like they had the right # in there bug.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Well ....that's interesting. I guess people will do almost anything to have a 'numbers matching' vehicle ....fraud included. Well, at least my engine is 'period correct'. Thanks.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."