Newbie from Alberta Canada

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
cdnwillyg

Newbie from Alberta Canada

Post by cdnwillyg »

Hi I'm new to the beetle community but have some skills as I am just completing a Triumph Spitfire project.
I am about to acquire a 66 Beetle with a 75 donor. The PO has started the IRS conversion with the intent of using the FI 1600 and trans axle from the 75.
Is this a good modification or should I strive to get it back to original? I have read that the FI can be somewhat troublesome as they age. I see conversion kits are there to have carburation instead.
Attachments
$_27[4].jpg
$_27[4].jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The IRS is a better setup suspension wise. The VW FI is problematic and there are many others out there that will work. There are also kits to convert back to a carb that include the electric fuel pump. I converted an FI to carb and did not look back.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Welcome to the forum ...I'm just east of you in central SK. Working in a 66 that I hauled back from Rosebud a couple of years ago. Let's see more pics of you project ...how's the interior?
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
cdnwillyg

Post by cdnwillyg »

Nice to see fellow Canadians here.
Post interior....wish I had an interior! This was a stalled project and the PO removed all most all the interior. I had nice seat frames no fabric, no headliner, do have 1 door card no carpet. I like to think I have a clean slate to work with here. Complete dash with original radio(nice), and steering wheel.
Attachments
20160614_130022.jpg
20160614_130022.jpg (70.45 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
$_27[3].jpg
$_27[3].jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

So, it looks like the car was originally ruby red, with the cream / off-white interior. I have 2 red parts cars (66's) the same as that. One I will use some parts off for my 66 Bahama Blue project ...the other I will sell on to someone looking to do a rebuild. No engine in it though.

By the way, you will likely eventually want to know what that switch-hole is to the right of the ash-tray: most Canadian 66's ( I am told ) came with a factory-installed Webasto gas-fired auxiliary heater (installed in the rear, above the transmission) and the control switch (a white knob with a dark green center) was mounted there beside the ashtray. All three of my 66's have it, but one I owned back in the day didn't ...not sure why.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
cdnwillyg

Post by cdnwillyg »

Okay I was wondering what the thing sitting under the cargo shelf was, and now I know what is missing in the dash, thanks.
As I go thru this project and the parts that came with it, I now realize that there is a lot missing. The 1600 doesn't seem to have its heat exchangers...man are those pricey! I have the swing transaxle which seems to be rebuilt but no 1300 engine so really not sure what to do here.