transmission

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

greenbug

transmission

Post by greenbug »

I recently bought a 66' in AZ. I am a first time VW owner and very excited to get to work on my car. There are two questions I have. One, my transmission has a wierd 1st gear. I have to push down and forward to get it in gear. Was this something unique to the 66' or does my Beetle have some form of aftermarket transmission? Also, the previous owner painted the car an awful green color that doesn't come up on the color list. Where can I find the paint code on my car for the original color?
I wasn't exactly looking for a 66' Bug, but I'm happy to learn that it is so unique. I will send pictures as soon as my sister-in-law returns my camera.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Greenbug and Welcome to the Forum - Great to have you as a member. Not sure what type of a transmission you have that you would need to push down to get into first but the stock 66 tranny's do not operate that way. Perhaps there is still a 66 tranny in there but something is wrong with the linkage.

As far as the color, If it is original then there is usually a silver decal under the hood by the washer bottle with the color spelled out in German for example L519 would say BAHAMABLAU (Bahama Blue). Unfortunately after 40 years the decal is usually in poor shape or nonexistant. So then Check behind the door panels, under or behind the dash of beneath the rear seat for the original color. Unless it has undergone a complete body off restoration, you'll find evidence to the original color. Then go to the link on the home page for the paint and upholstery codes for the 66 model year and you should be good to go.

Good luck and congrats - you do have a very special model year beetle! :D
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi Greenbug!!! John's right about where to find hints of the old paint - you could probably look in side the heater channels up front where the air comes out by your feet too - I can still see the factory paint in mine.
Phil
San Antonio
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Perhaps someone has taken your shifter out and got your detent shift plate in backwards. You should only have to press down on the shifter to go in reverse :?: Welcome
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
greenbug

Transmission

Post by greenbug »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It turns out that my shift coupler was in very bad shape. When I opened up the cover, there were parts everywhere. I replaced it and now it shifts just fine. The color is another story. Upon further examination, it looks as if someone welded a new front apron section onto this car. They never tranfered the data plate over when the job was complete. Now I have a VIN # for another 66' on the front of my car. I'll write to the VW museum and get a birth cert. to find out what color it really was. Thanks for the help. Pictures coming soon.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

In that case I would send the VIN number from the Chassis (under the rear seat) to get the right color, since that would have been the VIN number that would have been on your original front apron.