engine code CZ???

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

engine code CZ???

Post by KKV270 »

hi.

What are the details of an engine (pancake) with code starting with CZ? I've looked at all code references but can't see any code such as that yet I have an engine with the very code.

Thanks.[/i]
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

CZ was a Europe only case used on the 1600cc Vanagon from 80-82. It was a severely modified Type 1 case and had problems with cooling and cam followers. The cooling system was similar to Type 4, but not interchangeable. The engine uses Type 1 heads with the crankcase basically a Type 1 with cast in oil filter flange (like a Wasserboxer). The CZ engine featured dished pistons to reduce compression ratios.

Hope that helps!
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Wow!.

that's some good info.i got the case with heads...i have noticed the major changes on all parts mentioned.

Please explain further by what you mean "...but not interchange..." (cooling system that is...)

I am considering swooping my current 1600 cc on my camper which is an AE.. case/model with the CZ. (Well, I was informed it was a 1700cc engine... How bad was the cooling issue?

Lastly, I have no idea where the oil pressure switch is connected onto this engine...kindly advice. There is (or at least I can't see any) provision of the same on the case!!!

Thanks.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Would you happen to have links/pics of the oil cooler and how it sat on the case? I am missing this part and can't get any pics of how it was mounted.
Thanks.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Would you happen to have links/pics of the oil cooler and how it sat on the case? I am missing this part and can't get any pics of how it was mounted.
Thanks.