Wife gets a Toy, I get a Project

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
382CR62

Wife gets a Toy, I get a Project

Post by 382CR62 »

Greetings All-
Found a fair deal last weekend on a 66 bug that had a new engine recently installed. PO got frustrated when trying to replace the wiring harness. We've ordered the bugme videos #9 &10. In the meantime we have traced some of the wires, but have reached the fusebox (removed) so are waiting to watch the vids.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

If you did not know, there is a wiring diagram on the main page. That may help. Get a cheap meter to check continuity and bugger on. That may help as well. Have fun!
382CR62

Down the rabbit hole...

Post by 382CR62 »

So our fun project has decided to up the ante.

We got the car wired well enough to try to start it. A few tries later (had to get the gas moving) and it started nicely. Engine ran for about 5 seconds and then seized.
I suddenly felt like I had swallowed my 13mm deep well socket!

So we do some searches for more info. No warranty by builder, no guarantee by installer. PO felt bad, but was glad it wasn't her problem.
The next weekend we pulled the engine, and torn it down to the long block. A couple days later and we disassembled the long block. Found out #3 main bearing was not moving. Took crank to a machinist and he took off all the bearings and gears and got everything polished. It measures out to specs. Got new bearings and seals. Went ahead and relapped the valves.

Getting set to start the building process.
382CR62

Yippeeee!

Post by 382CR62 »

Got it all back together and finished the 50 mile test drive.

Lights are acting wonky, so I will start sorting that out next.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

glad it is running. Lights can be fixed!