My 1966 Beetle

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Roger57

My 1966 Beetle

Post by Roger57 »

Hi, this will be first air cooled motor, despite working for a company for the last five years that sells parts for Classic Beetles, And VW Campers from the Splitty's to the latest T6.

My 66, was imported from California about 3 years ago by bosses son, who I think became bored of it and as such it was put up for sale. Having just sold my T5 Camper, I wanted something to get my teeth into and to learn a little more about the Beetle, which will help in my daily job. The car was originally white, with the optional metal sunroof, but it had been resprayed Black and had a 1776 engine installed with twin webers, and remote Oil filter etc. Being a California car it is virtually rust free, however the paint was in a poor state and the car had been badly filled in many places. The only action was to have the car stripped and repainted. I decided to keep with the Black paint, and as I was going to change the bumpers from the U.S. spec Towel Rails, I had the holes in the rear wings welded up and as the exhaust was also going to be changed the exits in the rear valance have also been welded up. After 6 weeks the car was returned and my job is to put it all back together with new parts where needed. To be continued.
:)
Last edited by Roger57 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger57

My 1966 Beetle

Post by Roger57 »

Picture of my Bug prior to starting work.