Newb timing question

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cribbs74

Newb timing question

Post by Cribbs74 »

I am kind of embarrased to admit this, but since my beetle was still running a bit on the hot side so I decided to look at stock pulley pictures as I have an aftermarket degree pulley (same OD as stock)

It appears that the stock pulley has the 7.5 degree timing mark to the right of TDC and I have been timing to 7.5 degree to the left of TDC.

That being the case which is correct?

After I retimed I also noticed I can get to 32 plus degrees full advance wheras before I was only able to get to around 23-25 degrees.

Could timing being too retarded cause overheating? Also my fuel economy is poor. It's too late to test the car tonight, but I'll check back here tomorrow.

Ron
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

You did not indicate stock distributor or not so I will assume stock.

Confirm point gap of .016 (0.4 mm.).

To set the timing get a simple test light consisting of a 12 volt lamp and two leads with alligator clamps is recommended. You can easily make one yourself or you can buy one at an auto parts store.

Remove the vacuum hose from the distributor advance unit if you have one, loosen the clamp at the base of the distributor until you can turn the distributor with your hand, connect one lead of your test light to terminal 1 on the distributor and the other to a solid ground.

Turn the distributor clockwise until the points are closed. Turn on the ignition switch but do not start the engine. Turn the distributor counterclockwise until the test light comes on (just as the contact points are opening) and tighten down the clamp.

If you have a timing light you can use it to set your timing. Use chalk or something similar to the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley (may not be needed as you have a degree wheel) to make it easier to see with the timing light. Remove the vacuum hose from the distributor advance unit, loosen the clamp at the base of the distributor until you can turn the distributor with your hand, connect one lead of your test light to the number 1 spark plug wire on the distributor and the other to a solid ground.

Start the engine and aim the timing light at the top of the crankshaft pulley. Rotate the distributor body until the appropriate mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the crankcase seam. Tighten down the distributor clamp.

The typical 4 settings for timing a VW engine statically In order, they are: 7.5 deg. BTDC, 5 deg. BTDC, TDC & 5 degrees ATDC.

If a stock distributor the total advance should be 27 to 29 degrees. If an .009 distributor the total advance can be as high as 33 degrees.

For 1966-1967 1300/1500 the timing is 7.5deg BTDC @ 800-950rpm

BTW, all the settings are all reflected on the "Technical" tab on the home page for this site.

Hope this helps.
Cribbs74

Post by Cribbs74 »

Darzoom,

Thanks for the reply, I did leave out some info, it's a 1600DP AD engine. Not sure on the distributor, it a single advance unit.

How to time isn't really a problem, it's where to time. As in which marks are BTDC. I think I have answered my own question though as I did a 14 mile drive to work this AM and my dipstick was lukewarm upon arrival.

What threw me initially is the engine was timed improperly ATDC when I purchased it and I continued the trend without even thinking. Couple that with bad points and I had a real mess.

So, all seems to be well now. I am attaching a picture of the distributor and my crank pulley. Funny thing is my engine came to rest roughly where I timed it yesterday evening.

http://i.imgur.com/7kWHwbi.jpg
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

If you turn your engine clockwise by hand with a wrench or socket, it will make sense. Stop turning before the zero mark reaches the top and you are before top dead center. Turn past the zero mark and you are after top dead center. So the marks to the right of zero are BTDC and the marks to the left of zero are ATDC.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Glad it all worked out.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I see you have a degree wheel pulley, which makes things easy. Forget static timing and get your timing light out and set it to 28 degrees total advance (rev the motor until full advance) and then see where it sits at idle. Initial advance should be around the 7.5 mark. These are factory settings.

To adjust timing, loosen distributor clamp and turn distributor counterclockwise to advance and clockwise to retard.

You can safely set it up to 32 degrees total advance, so experiment and see where it runs the happiest between 28 to 32 degrees total, and 7.5 to 9 degrees initial (at idle). Don't go over these maximums!