Kevin's 1966 Beetle - Bay Area

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

euroimage wrote:I also plan on machining out the plugs on the cover to add zerk fittings if the need ever arrises to need to add more. Hopefully it will not though!
That's a great idea! Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't come with the zerks already! Thanks for the progress pictures. Makes learning by example easier.
euroimage

Post by euroimage »

1966veedub wrote:
euroimage wrote:I also plan on machining out the plugs on the cover to add zerk fittings if the need ever arrises to need to add more. Hopefully it will not though!
That's a great idea! Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't come with the zerks already! Thanks for the progress pictures. Makes learning by example easier.
No problem at all. I'm still learning as I go, might as well keep it documented!
euroimage

Post by euroimage »

had some people asking about the seals.. here they are:
prep for my day off..
worked on the wiring a bit.. chemical resistant sleeving, just wish this heat shrink would have shrunk a bit more.. still need to add some at the ground union
and tapped the top of the steering box cover for zerks. excuse the dirt.. it still needs some tlc and there was some gunk in my bucket o cleaner that got in the threads
euroimage

Post by euroimage »

Alright so friday, took the day off work and knocked out some work. May not look like a ton got done, but it was at least a full 8 hrs.
Wiper assembly painted, re-wired and re-assembled. Yes I am aware it is a later model version, but it works for what I need it to do

Steering box seal made from proper thickness oil resistant gasket material, and painted

Worked on upholstery a bit more

and got my wheels back from some minor bend repair:

and most importantly got my replacement defroster piece:

euroimage

Post by euroimage »

so had some time to finish up some burlap and foam on the seats. The front bottom sections are the only ones "done" the upper section needs a little tweaking still.. as obviously shown and the rear bottom needs some heat before tucking under and securing the cover in place. over all pretty happy with the results for my first set of these types of seats.