Door sizes across beetle years

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Door sizes across beetle years

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
Im gearing up for my full body restoration. On assessment, my doors seem well rusted at the bottom. Im weighing between doing a pannel restore or just get replacements. Kindly advice, are the door sizes standard? If not, up to what year doors would fit a '67 bugthanks.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Yours is an interesting question. I see that for US models the fit from 64 to 66 is the same in most sheet metal replacement vendors. Seems for US models 67 was a bit different. What I can find for the US model is the exterior handle was different and there was a change of the hinges mid year. Seems 68 and up will fit all models to 73 or 74 for standard beetles. I know that does not help.

The major challenge here is your location as Germany shipped to countries with different parts in the 60's and I can't make a definite call on Africa as to what is there. If I were to make a guess I would think the 64 and up door would fit. Again, your location makes it a bit of a guess.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Thanks darzoom.
I will try things the hardock way...measure dimensions and shop around.
My challenge this end, we don't have dealers but yards with wreckages...and fewer guys who might know about this cars. Well.....
Cheers.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

KKV270, I don't remember your car being a '67, especially since this is a 1966 page!

1967 was a censored year with many one-year-only parts. Volkswagen changed the door striker to a safety design that year.

The only proper door for a '67 is from another a '67, though '68 and later doors will work if you don't mind having a different outside door handle.

Question: Is your inside door release a chrome handle or a pull lever? Is there a inside push button to lock the doors? (Pictures would be a big help.) Also, is your fuse box 8 or 10 fuses?