Transmission Shop

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

planenut

Transmission Shop

Post by planenut »

Hey guys, just got my '66 on the road after a 2 yr resto. Big problem with it jumping out of 4th. Now I'm faced with a transmission swap. Questions are surfacing, like, go with a '67 to get the 412 gearing, or try a freeway flyer, or get my modified '66 repaired. One shop told me that repairing mine, and exchanging would be the same cost. I also found out that some shops won't take a 12V modified '66 as a core. That adds about $250. I would like to see if someone in the Newnan, GA area repairs these on the side, or something like that. I'm not really into the freeway thing, as I like to use back roads. The '67 tranny seems to make more sense to me, if I'm understanding correctly. So, I'd like to talk to someone who works on these things, without having to go to a transmission shop. If I had the tools, I'd probably try and fix this one myself. Anyone ?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The '67/'68 swingaxle transmission had the 4.12:1 ring and pinion and longer third gear, and is ideal for 1500 and 1600 engines. If you're running the stock 1300, you may want to stick with the 4.37:1.

Also keep in mind, the '67 had longer axles, and the rear tires don't sit as deep in the fenders. If you want it to look stock, it won't look right. You also can't go to a much wider wheel and can run into issues with parking brake cables.

The ideal solution is the 4.12 transmission with your short axles installed. I have this setup on one of my cars and I love it. Problem is, I loved it so much I recommended it to my friend who lives in San Francisco. After driving his car with the new trans I realized that the 4.12 was not the best choice for the steep hills, and the car would have been better off with the 4.37 (though highway performance is much better). So if you live in a very hilly part of Georgia, you may want to stick with the 4.37.

As for freeway fliers, they're really geared too tall. Most people who have them have to add oil coolers to keep from overheating. I think the problem is the mindset. Everyone else drives 80 so they need to drive 80 too in cars that were never designed for it. Just do 65 to 70 and stay in the right lane like I do. You'll still pass a lot of people!
planenut

Transmission shop

Post by planenut »

Thanks for the reply. It was recommended to me to use the 67 gears. I do have a 1600, but don't plan on a lot of interstate use. I like the back roads when I have time. The transmission shop I talked to in Powder Springs will build it with short axles, which I think you're right about that. Don't want any funny looking wheel placement. It gets very hot here, and I found out on my test drives about this 1600 overheating. Hot day in traffic and some 60 MPH driving had my temp warning flickering. Guess I'll try the tennis ball trick until I find a CV engine lid. Thanks for the info. I agree that the 67 tranny sounds like the way to go.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

You're on the right track for everything.

Yes, a 1600 just doesn't get the cooling air it needs in a '66 compartment. A convertible decklid is the solution, though the tennis ball trick works wonders.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Let me know how it goes on the Powder Springs Guy.
planenut

Transmission Shop

Post by planenut »

Darzoom, I will post the results. Hope to do that in the next week or so.
planenut

Transmission Shop

Post by planenut »

Just an update on my transmission. I had a transmission built with the '67 4.12 gearing with short axles for my '66. Transmission is working out well, once I got the shifter adjusted. I had overheating problems with it on the interstate, but today it didn't. However, it's only in the mid 80's today instead of the usual high 90's. I was able to keep up with traffic, though. All in all, I think I'll like the '67 tranny. And, the shop in Powder Springs worked out well too. It was close enough that at least I didn't have to pay shipping.