vin #`s

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Miss Harbour

vin #`s

Post by Miss Harbour »

Hello Everyone,
I have a question concerning the vin #`s on the 66 beetles,I`ve been told that they are on 3 different locations of each vehicle,but I can only find 2 on my car. the plate behind the spare tire (1) ,the stamped in #`s on the frame under the back seat (2),so where is the third ???
Am I bugging out for nothing ??? LOL
Hopefully one of you dubaholics can answer me
Thks everyone :-)
We love our bug
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Miss Harbour! No - you are right - there are only two locations. On the metal plate behind the spare, and on the chassis under the rear seat. What they might be referring to is the additional engine number associated with your vehicle which is on the engine just behind the lower fan belt pulley. The engine number is important if you want to know if the car still has it's original engine. For example, my birth certificate from VW shows the original engine number, which is identical to what I have stamped on my engine. The '66 model year started with the Letter F on the engine case. Click on the link below to see what the 66 owners manual states. Hope this helps.

PS. I read somwhere that VW sometimes printed chassis numbers on the dashboards but I have never seen this, and I doubt it ever happened on the 66 model.
Attachments
66 vin numbers.jpg
(109.52 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times