Help finding VW glass seals help in my area

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Roadbug

Help finding VW glass seals help in my area

Post by Roadbug »

It's time to change the dried out original windshield rear windows rubber seals. I need new headliner and windshield & window rubbers installed with the aluminum trim. I have all the original trim.
Due to a recently fused wrist I'm not about to try it myself, yet. I don't know who to trust to do it right and get the trim in the rubber without kinking it..
Anybody know of a shop in north Georgia or the Carolina's that they would recommend for this task
PaulDobbin@aol.com
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Roadbug

VW headliner & window trim HELP

Post by Roadbug »

I know VW's are a "DO IT YOURSELF" car, but no recommendations on this?
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

If no one local to you is available, I would strongly recommend getting the new seals from a reputable online provider (Wolfsburg West, for example) and then studying the installation tips from people like Chris Vallone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGMd0CrEQig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm32F6w8x9M

With this knowledge you and a friend or two should be able to get this accomplished. Might not be a bad idea to have a spare windshield on hand, just in case!!
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

First, this is not a do it by one job. You need two people. So may be you can have a friend help if you are not having luck with local shops around you. I am south of Atlanta and know no shops in your area.

Have you contacted the following:

Ashville Vee Dub - Ashville NC

Lonnie's University Auto Center (Lonnie Long)
1309 Christian Avenue
Durham NC 27705

Monkey Nut in Charlotte
Roadbug

glass & headliner install

Post by Roadbug »

Darzoom,
Thanks for the video links. Looks easy enough, but I'm without the use of my right hand after a wrist fusion and can't do it myself. Still looking for an upholstery guy who's not afraid of old VW's.
Great selection of How To Videos, thanks again.