Trans Issue??

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

SharkQueen

Trans Issue??

Post by SharkQueen »

I got my Beetle out of storage to drive it on the road for a bit.

My first time driving it on the main road.

When I went to shift into 4th the back tires locked up and it got all funny and wouldn't go back into 4th. So I got scared and pulled over and had my mom drive it home since I am I experienced with driving manuals. It drove okay for her but every time she shifted into 4th it would jump out of 4th and she had to hold the shifter lever down to keep it into 4th.

Anyone have any idea what this issue could be??? I feel lie maybe I broke it my not know what I was doing.
Itskyle

Re: Trans Issue??

Post by Itskyle »

SharkQueen wrote:I got my Beetle out of storage to drive it on the road for a bit.
Fun. consider myself jealous for not having storage for mine, or for not being able to store it during harsh winters.
My first time driving it on the main road.

When I went to shift into 4th
Also jealous, don't often get to shift mine in 4th with all of the city driving I do with it.
the back tires locked up and it got all funny and wouldn't go back into 4th.
:eek:

That can be scary for a new stick driver, or a veteran stick driver.
So I got scared and pulled over and had my mom drive it home since I am I experienced with driving manuals. It drove okay for her but every time she shifted into 4th it would jump out of 4th and she had to hold the shifter lever down to keep it into 4th.

Anyone have any idea what this issue could be??? I feel lie maybe I broke it my not know what I was doing.
With the transmission, unfortunately, as I've seen, there's usually only 2 possibilities:

1. Issue with the fluid level in the tranny case itself.

2. Tranny needs rebuilt.

I've never heard of 4th popping out before, but I have heard of 1st and 2nd doing that.

So,

Check the transmission oil, and look for any incriminating pools of that stuff wherever you stored your bug.

If it looks like there was a leak, put in more tranny fluid and try again.

If not, then tranny may have to be rebuilt.

Good luck!

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Agree that a rebuild is in order. Some worthwhile information:

http://www.transworks.biz/techinfo.html
SharkQueen

Post by SharkQueen »

I talked to some guy that Owns a VW shop and works on old beetles all the time and he said he's never heard of that happening. I had my boyfriend drive it and it stayed in 4th and would only pop out when he pushed on the gas. I will probably have to take it to a shop to get it fixed as I do not have the tools to rebuilt it myself :(
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I can't imagine any owner of a VW shop who would not be familiar with the transmission of an old Volkswagen popping out of fourth gear.

The only fix is a rebuilt transmission. However, you can probably get along for a time by using a bungee cord on the shifter to hold it in gear on the highway. I traveled across the continent that way once.
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

SharkQueen wrote:I talked to some guy that Owns a VW shop and works on old beetles all the time and he said he's never heard of that happening. I had my boyfriend drive it and it stayed in 4th and would only pop out when he pushed on the gas. I will probably have to take it to a shop to get it fixed as I do not have the tools to rebuilt it myself :(
*idea*

Shake down your boyfriend for a new tranny :-)
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
SharkQueen

Post by SharkQueen »

I actually DID notice that as long as I'm just cursing it's fine.

But when I hit the gas it will pop out.

I'm hoping it ends up being something "easy" to fix.

I don't have a ton of money to spend on it lol.
planenut

Trans

Post by planenut »

Don't forget the possibility that the shifter is out of adjustment.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Popping out of gear under acceleration means worn out synchros. No possible fix other than a rebuilt transmission. But I'm just a voice on the Internet. Take it to an expert for evaluation.