Refilling/Topping-up Transmission Fluid

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

D2

Refilling/Topping-up Transmission Fluid

Post by D2 »

I have to replace the transmission boot on one side of the tranny and will have to also top-up the fluid level. I'll use jack stands (I don't have a lift) and maybe should use four stands to get the car level and the transmission level for the refill. Are there any ideas RE: what kind of a pump for the 90 wt. fluid and where I could purchase the pump to use when on a creeper under the car? Another thought, should I replace the trans. boots on both sides even though only one side appears to be leaking for now?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

If you don't use a creeper and you pull the left rear wheel and the left side heater tube that is in front of the heat exchanger, there is no need to use 4 jackstands. Just make sure the jackstand under the left rear is at the height that keeps the car level. No need to use a pump. You can buy gear oil in a plastic quart bottle that comes with a plastic nozzle that you can cut the tip off of. It is kinda tricky, but with your finger over the nozzle, position the bottle over the frame fork with the nozzle near the fill hole. Remove your finger and quickly insert into the trans.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

But first he has to get the drain plugs out, and that requires a 17mm allen wrench. If you don't have the tool, you can use a ratchet with 1 7mm bolt double nutted at the end.

You also need to have the rear wheels flat on the ground to change the axle boots. If you jack the car off the ground, the resulting camber change (wheels and axles drooping down) will make changing the boots nearly impossible. It's a dirty job at any rate.
planenut

Trans Fluid

Post by planenut »

You can go to home depot and get some 3/8" or so flexible tubing and put on the end of the bottle. Makes it easier.