I love my car

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Sfizio

I love my car

Post by Sfizio »

Hello. I bought my 66 back in December after watching TheSamba for a while. I had a couple of bugs many years ago, a 70 sedan and a 71 vert, and after a 30 year gap, decided to get one again. I went about looking for something that still had a flat screen and a metal dash so 71 at the latest. I had heard that a 67 was the iconic car to get and was looking at a lot of those when I came across my 66. It was in great shape, a fair price and close to home so I could not resist. It wasn't until I had it for a while that I realized how much more I loved a 66 over the 67. It wasn't a 70's, of which I still have fond memories, but it was that older style bug, which I also admired. To me, the 67 seemed to be a transition to a modern age with its 12v electrical and its sealed beam headlamps. Give me those oval glass lens covers any day! (full disclosure: my bug has been converted to 12v and 1500 cc's). I think 66 was the last year for that old euro-style bug that made them so attractive in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I like 67's as well. In fact, that's my problem. I like them all but I think the 66 is the icon, not the 67. I have done a few things to my bug since I bought it. I added reverse lights (from a 67) because I found it sketchy to operate without them. I purchased a beautiful NOS turn signal switch to replace my broken one, an original four way flasher switch, which I hope to install soon and a replica roof rack to get my kayak down to the beach. I bought two vintage cars last year, this one and a completely restored 1982 Alfa Romeo Spider. As much a I love that car for summer weekends, I use my 66 as a daily driver and I am absolutely in love with it.