Air cleaner rebuild?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Itskyle

Air cleaner rebuild?

Post by Itskyle »

I have a Knecht air cleaner that is one of the few 1966 engine parts still in my engine bay (except for right now.)

After the fire, it has discolored a lot. I also noticed the flappy-do thing had melted out of existence during the engine fire.

I've sanded down the air cleaner to the best of my ability after soaking it in a bath of rubbing alcohol for a day or so.

I know the flappy do thing supposedly helps during cold weather, which we do get here from time to time, but hopefully no time soon.

Any ideas where I can get another flappy do thing for my air cleaner? My buddy says,I probably won't need it, but...

I'm guessing I will. I could also use a thermostat thingamajig for my 1500 engine, but I'll tackle that when I can.

After I'm done sanding down this air cleaner, I plan on spray painting the externally surfaces of it and getting the air cleaner decals that I've seen advertised somewhere.

As far as the rest of the engine is concerned, I hope to be able to get it going again soon.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

How is the horsehair material inside?
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

Blue Baron wrote:How is the horsehair material inside?
From what I could see of it, it looked good.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)